On Friday May 24th City Officials revoked Congress Theater’s liquor license. That being said it’s important to mention that the theater has appealed the revocation and will continue to sell liquor during its appeal. The venue will also remain open even though the city has a separate case against did for several code violations.
Information Taken from Chicago Tribune article located HERE.
On Thursday May 9th Erineo “Eddie” Carranza once again was given the “all’s clear” to continue operating the 87 year old concert venue Congress Theater. During the court appearance, which lasted less than five minutes, attorneys for the city and Carranza updated Judge James McGing on building renovations, including the removal of obstructions from passageways in the corridors and installation of back-up lighting on the upper floors. Another inspection was scheduled for May 22, with another court date the following day.
Information taken from a blog post by Jim Derogatis on WBEZ91.5’s blog located HERE.
Carranza’s next inspection is May 22nd with a court date is scheduled for the following day. Carranza’s attorney hopes for a quick hearing due to only “minor” repairs needed to be completed so the venue could reopen its top level and be at max capacity 5000 (one of the larger concert venues in Chicago).
This is just one battle Carranza and his team are fighting as he’s also facing the possibility of losing his liquor license in deleterious impact/public nuisance hearings. Not to mention the lawsuit (now settled) with his bank.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, as much as I like going to Congress for shows I feel a change of ownership would be good not only for its image but for the long term safety and security at future EDM events.
“The Congress Theater can once again sell tickets to upcoming shows, but must keep the crowd to a maximum 3,000 concertgoers, a Cook County judge ruled on Tuesday.” Taken from Chicago Sun Times website LINK HERE TO ARTICLE by Tina Sfondeles.
The next court date for Eddie Carranza is May 9, after the next scheduled inspection. Till then party goers will be able to enjoy what congress has to offer in a limited capacity. Well have to see what comes next.
Congress Theater COULD be closing its doors if it fails to impress the city during its next court hearing on April 23. Till then Congress is allowed to stay open but that all could change after that date. The city’s main concern is safety and Congress Theater failed several building violations during its inspection on 4/17.
Information taken from an online Chicago Tribune article found here: LINK
This isn’t news as Congress Theater and owner Eddie Carranza have been receiving heat from the city since that Rusko NYE event a year ago after which a girl was sexually assaulted a few blocks away from Congress. Couple that with numerous complaints from neighboring residents for noise, crude behavior by patrons and kids’ parents complaints about their kids consuming alcohol (among other things) at the venue and it’s no surprise this is a possibility. Last summer Congress Theater had several meetings with local government officials to see what they can do to improve their situation with the community. This included bumping up security, some renovations and what seems to be a curfew on shows being scheduled during the week. I must give credit where credit is due and I’ll admit when going to congress for Alesso last week I felt much safer than in the past. You can see a larger security presence all around the venue and I’ve seen several people be escorted out for different reasons. All this public heat is only for the best in the long run and even though I know young ragers will be upset if Congress were to close, I think a change of ownership would be a good thing. There are other venues in Chicago (maybe not with a 4500 capacity) that React Presents can throw their parties at. No need to panic Chicago.